Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Waking Up From Hibernation

The scout has been AWOL lately, but the vacation is over... Time to revive the blog, featuring thoughts, musings, experiences and -- most importantly -- good eats!

As I sit here in the middle of my work day, busily digesting my lunchtime salad from the cafeteria and trying to resist the samples of Valrhona chocolate that recently arrived in the office, my mind goes back to last night's dinner.

We met friends at an osteria in midtown that we've frequently been to for lunch. The sandwiches, pizzas and salads at midday are impeccable -- tasty and reasonably priced -- and the restaurant's service is always excellent. But this was the first time we've been for dinner, and the results were disappointing.

I ordered a pizza topped with tomato sauce and tiny polpette -- an amusing take on 'spaghetti with meatballs.' On paper it sounded irresistible... how can you pass up bread, tomato sauce and meatballs? But in reality it was bland. I had to ask for (and load up on) crushed red pepper flakes just to give my palate something to think about. A dessert of warm apple tart with cinnamon ice cream was a similar let-down.

That's not to say that I won't go back to this place for lunch, but clearly the nighttime staff are not held to the same high standards, which is a shame.

1 comment:

  1. Yay!! SO glad to see you're back in the saddle!

    ReplyDelete