Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Comfort Food: Tuna Melt


When I think of comforting, soothing, simple foods, one of the first things that springs to mind is a good old-fashioned tuna melt. Now, I'm all for haute cuisine and adventurous eating, but certain things to me are sacrosanct -- just too important to be messed with. The tuna melt has to be one of them.

Search the term in Google and (thankfully) the first two hits are safe, traditional recipes that involve little more than tuna, bread, cheese, celery and onions (with, perhaps, an occasional mention of a tomato.)

Search deeper, however, and you start to uncover ungodly concoctions such as "Tuna-Pesto Melts on Rye with Romaine Salad with Candied Walnuts and Grapefruit," a recipe that calls for cooking tuna fillets and then flaking them into a salad. This, to me, is unnecessary and verges on silly.

As far as I'm concerned, the perfect tuna melt involves making your favorite tuna salad, putting it open-faced on a slice of your favorite bread, topping it with your favorite cheese and grilling till the cheese melts.

Anyone care to challenge me?

No comments:

Post a Comment