Thursday, March 12, 2009

Looking At: Oven Mitts


The first gift I remember buying my mother with "my own" money was a pot holder covered in bright red cherries that I bought while on a school ski trip in elementary school. I'm pretty sure she still has it too!

Personally, I'm a sucker for oven mitts, even though most of the time when I'm cooking I end up scalding my hand on a hot pan well before I reach for one or I grab the nearest hand towel instead. Still, oven mitts hold a certain allure... and a certain femininity, don't you think? Do real men use pot holders?

On a quick look around the web I found some completely adorable ones. I'd buy one of each if I had room to keep them. I love this happy pig for example, and I've always been a big fan of marimekko's joyful prints. For the price, you can't beat the choices at IKEA and Target. Violet.com has a very stylish black and white print that comes with a matching apron, or you could opt for this one from Broadway Panhandler, which they call the Matzoh pot holder but which I think looks more like naan!

From etsy comes this lovely handmade number (so girly), and straight from Japan, this Rilakkuma oven mitt (so cute!) lets the popular Japanese character help out in the kitchen.

And for those real men who don't like to get burned but can't put their hand in something covered in flowers, there is this neoprene, stain-resistant, water-resistant glove from Williams-Sonoma that can withstand heat up to 500°F. Anyone have other suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment