Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Test Your Knowledge of Sustainable Food

Turns out I didn't know as much about sustainable food as I thought I did. This is according to two simple quizzes on the National Geographic site. One tests whether you know the true cost of food with questions that explore the meaning of beef certified as American Grassfed and which twelve fruits and vegetables are most often contaminated with pesticides.

I was amazed at how many of these questions I got wrong. That aforementioned question was particularly interesting and it's worth listing those twelve items:
  • peaches
  • sweet bell peppers
  • strawberries
  • pears
  • spinach
  • potatoes
  • apples
  • celery
  • nectarines
  • cherries
  • lettuce
  • grapes
These foods are so commonly consumed that it's worth spending a little extra to get organic, whenever possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment